View My Stats

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Nude on a Couch

Today is the first of September, and a good place to make a change. 

I have been through twenty+ years of archived negatives,  and have chosen what I consider the best for posting.  There may be a few more, but essentially, I have come to the end of the film work.

Sometime in the later '90's I borrowed a friend's Olympus digital point and shoot, pointed it and shot.

It was quite awkward.  It was far too light, and felt peculiar in my hand.  I was used to the comforting heft of my Nikon F5.  The tiny screen, instead of a viewfinder, was strange, as was the posture of holding it away from my eye. 

I didn't like it at all, but I must admit that the technical aspects of it fascinated me, particularly the idea that I didn't need a darkroom.  I always disliked the darkroom; developing and printing was drudgery for me.

Below is one of the first images I attempted:


I was trying to emulate the look of film, with mixed results.  The image is somewhat soft, and lacks the focus and lighting I could have achieved with film. 

The framing is also a little off, because I wasn't used to looking at a screen.  It was hand-held; the camera didn't have a tripod mount.

But I had an image, and without entering a darkroom!

It was a beginning.


1 comment:

  1. Nice pose and image, though my personal preference when shooting digital is to use available light. Bob

    ReplyDelete