View My Stats

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Photography and Painting

This post is not strictly about a painting, but a work of art, nevertheless.


When I met the model, Rodolfo, at a party, I was struck by several things. First of all, there was his undeniable beauty.  He was a native of Peru, and that gave him an exotic air.  I had never known anyone from Peru. His speech, in flawless English, was low and melodic, and he moved like a cat.


The combination was too much, and I did what I virtually never do - I asked a perfect stranger to pose for me.  He agreed, and we have done several successful shoots.



But there was something else.  I had the strangest feeling that I had seen him before.  The almond eyes, the arched brows, the sensuous mouth and tawny skin - I knew them, but from where - and when?

I put the feeling aside and began to shoot, but it would be some time later before it finally hit me.  I knew that face.


The golden funerary mask of Tutankhamen.

I was actually privileged to see the mask itself when it toured the U.S. back in the '70's.  It is as breathtaking as it looks, and a sight I shall never forget. I never expected to meet the original.

The image below was not taken specifically for the mask.  It was a casual bathing suit shot.  I added eye make-up in Photoshop, and superimposed the headdress, necklace and beard from the original.  I painted on the bracelets.

I present it here in honor of the new Tut Exhibition currently touring, which opened at the Museum of Fine Arts here in Houston last week.  You be the judge.





1 comment: