View My Stats

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Photography and Painting

I apologize for missing Monday's post.  I had computer issues, which have just now been resolved.


One of my most successful transpositions involves the painting, "La Source", by the 19th century French painter Ingres.



The epitome of the coolly classical female figure, Ingres' use of simple lines and subdued color made the painting a natural for its masculine counterpart, but it required just the right model to carry it off. 

In what is an intrinsically feminine posture, it was important that the model be quintessentially male.

Tyler was the answer.

The shot was carefully composed in the studio, with a background of white paper.  Since I had no actual pottery jug, he holds aloft a plastic wastebasket.

Here is the unedited image:



The final image, fully detailed.  Note the model's toes reflected in the water, and the water pouring through his fingers.


This image, printed at 20"x60", was shown at the 2009 Kinsey Institute Juried Exhibition in Bloomington, Indiana.  A copy is part of their permanent collection.

Several people have asked me to "teach" them the technique, but even if I were so inclined, I don't think I could do it.  It has been a long, labor-intensive trial-and-error process, and I learn new tricks and shortcuts with every new one I undertake.

One of my favorite questions came from someone on-line who asked me what "button" on Photoshop did I use to turn my photographs into paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment