View My Stats

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Paul, Von Gloeden Figure


Another in a series.  I have always been fascinated by the Baron Von Gloeden (If you are not familiar with him, Google "Von Gloeden"). 

He was photographing the male nude at a time and place where it was unacceptable; even illegal, but he persisted, cloaking his models in an air of "antiquity" in the vain hope that they would become respectable.

He remains something of a mystery, and his motives are still somewhat suspect.  After all, he did sell his images, under the counter,  to a "certain" clientele, posing his little Sicilian boys in decidedly homoerotic attitudes.  He also chose his models for their obvious endowments.

Since I recently had the opportunity to see a collection of his original prints at the Kinsey Institute, I feel I have new insight into his work.  In image after image, his personal enjoyment of what he was doing shines through; the passion is there for anyone to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment