View My Stats

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Paul, New Orleans Marriot, c. 1988


A photograph like this one invariably gets a lot of comments about lighting, and I appreciate them, I guess, but I have to smile, because my philosophy of lighting is very simple.  Light is essential to photography; without it there is no image.  Obviously.  But what the light source is, where it comes from and what makes it is completely immaterial to me. 

I don't travel with a professional light kit.  For many years I didn't even have a professional light kit.  Even today I consider them clumsy and cumbersome, and I'd much rather do without them.

The images above and below were taken with one of my favorite light sources - a bright overhead bathroom can light, especially those that can be found in hotel rooms.  It casts a strong vertical beam directly on the model, creating a strong, dramatic shadow.

It is true that the model must possess two special attributes to stand up to that kind of light - youth and beauty.  Paul had them both.



No comments:

Post a Comment